Grant opportunity for women’s groups that
advance the human rights of women and girls
The Global Fund for Women supports women's groups that advance the human rights of women and girls. We strengthen women's right groups based outside the United States by providing small, flexible, and timely grants ranging from $500 to $30,000 for operating and program expenses. We value local expertise and believe that women themselves know best how to determine their needs and propose solutions for lasting change.
Who the Global Fund supports
- Groups of women working together.
- Organizations that demonstrate a clear commitment to women’s equality and women’s human rights.
- Organizations that are governed and directed by women.
- Organizations based outside of the United States.
Who the Global Fund does NOT support
- Individuals and Scholarships
- Organizations that do not have a women’s human rights focus.
- Organizations headed or managed by men.
- Organizations whose sole activities are income-generation and/or charity.
- Organizations based or working primarily in the United States.
- Organizations in the Global North proposing partnerships in the Global South.
- Government entities, political parties or election campaigns.
Types of Grants
The Global Fund receives over 3,000 proposals a year and is able to award about 600 grants annually. Due to the large number of applications we receive, please allow seven to nine months to review your request. We accept applications throughout the year and award grants every three months. We will send you a note of receipt within three weeks of receiving your application. Thank you!
There are three types of grants:
1. General Support Grants
These are flexible, small grants to cover general operating and project expenses.
2. Travel Grants
These are small grants that allow members of an organization to attend conferences and events.
3. Organizing Meeting/Event Grants
These are small grants to support organizations planning a time-sensitive conference or event.
The Global Fund for Women is committed to providing support to women’s groups throughout the world in a fair and just way. We accept grant proposals in any language and any format. We award grants based on criteria and priorities determined in partnership with women’s rights activists working on the ground.